Danna Tullis | mY STORY
These Days 2014 - 2018
Early Years 1971 - 1999
- I was and still am, the daydreamer in my family. My head was always “in the clouds” as my father would say shaking his head in wonder (ok, it may have been exasperation!) In High School I was the student that lived for art class, my creative projects and my boyfriend. I was looking forward to college to study art and I wanted to become an art teacher.
- My world crashed when my high school sweetheart tragically drowned in a lake in Colorado just a few miles from our homes. It happened just a few weeks before our wedding. The details are sad and I’ll just say that a large part of me died that day too. Nothing seemed real for a long time and I pretty much gave up everything I cared about including college. I almost sank into the deep water of my depression and anxiety. Hang gliding was a wonderful escape and I had a brief affair with it as a sponsored professional.
- Ten years later I was a wife and mother in Michigan. I was trying to earn money with my creative skills but I didn’t know anything about marketing or attracting customers. Finding my way as a Creative was the easy and fun part but learning the ropes of being a business owner was not! I decided to get out of my studio and focus on attracting new clients. I put together a portfolio of my art and basically went door to door, talking with business owners. Believe me when I say I was way out of my studio comfort zone!
- BOOM! I landed an illustration commission for a popular restaurant in downtown Detroit, that led to other commissions. Then a contract to illustrate a book of poetry that ended up being distributed in all four U.S. regions and internationally. I enjoyed passive income from book royalties (my published name is Danna Clark). In the next 5 years I illustrated 4 more books and had steady commissions for both graphic design and fine arts. I met a designer who liked my work and I painted murals for her clients in spectacular luxury homes.
- CRASH! Tragedy struck again when my husband died unexpectedly after 20 years of marriage. At the time of his death I was painting two murals. I finished them a year later and then moved with my two sons back to Colorado. Handling my finances alone as a widow and not burning through the life insurance was a challenge. It's emotionally painful whenever I think of that time. And when I think of anyone grieving the death of a loved one, I have deep empathy for their difficult journey and the pain they endure. But I know from my own devastating experiences, that given time for healing, life continues to present more beautiful possibilities, opportunities and rewarding relationships.
Mid Years 2000 - 2014
- In Colorado, I restructured my business and changed my creative and business direction. I started my business, Highlights Interiors, and specializing interior design projects and murals (residential and commercial) for about 10 years.
- Married an accomplished artist and musician. I helped with designs and marketing for his wholesale pottery business and we owned an art gallery in Salida, Colorado. You can see his beautiful ceramic designs at www.clydetullis.com
- Accepted invitations for community service, and served as President of the Board of Directors for the Salida Community Center; and as Vice President (and interim President) for the Chaffee County Visitors Bureau, Board of Directors.
- During that time I started a community After School Art Program in Salida that grew to include adult classes. I also taught art at the Salida Montessori School, at a private school in Breckenridge, Colorado and at the Breckenridge Arts District.
The Creative's Best Friend and Creative's Profit Studio does not guarantee specific results. That's up to you. We do not offer legal or accounting advice and we recommend you seek professional services as needed. You will never be contacted about anything other than what is stated on this website. The information on this website is intended as business development and is not a multi level marketing or pyramid scheme, buying club, franchise or distributorship.
Website, E-Books and Illustrations are by Danna Tullis. Copyright 2017 Danna Tullis. All rights reserved.
Images are used by permission Unsplash.com - a website that offers copyright free images for anyone to use.
Web Hosting by Domain.com